People Going Crazy For Cronuts!
At a bakery in Manhattan, people line up two hours before the doors open to get a chance to buy one of the newest food crazes, the "Cronut." The Cronut is a hybrid of a donut and a croissant. The Dominique Ansel Bakery in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood sells them for $5.00 each. The line is so long, and the Cronuts usually run out before the line does. So some people are reselling their $5 Cronut for up to $20 to eager buyers on the street outside the bakery. They are called "Cronut Scalpers" and it's perfectly legal. The craze has gotten so crazy, the bakery is now limiting each customer to only 2 Cronuts each.
I Googled "Cronut" and came up with the make at home version recipe below. Give it a try.
Pillsbury Salted Caramel Crescent Doughnuts:
courtesy of Pillsbury
2 cups vegetable oil
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 snack-size container (4 oz) vanilla pudding
2 tablespoons caramel sauce
1/4 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Additional caramel sauce, if desired
1. In deep fryer or 2-quart heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat to 325°F.
2. Separate crescent dough into 4 rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal. Stack 2 rectangles on top of one another. Fold in half widthwise to make tall stack. Repeat with remaining 2 rectangles.
3. To make 2 doughnuts, use 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut 1 round from each stack; use 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to cut small hole in center of each round. Reroll remaining dough to cut third doughnut.
4. Fry doughnuts in hot oil 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until deep golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Cool 5 minutes.
5. Carefully split doughnuts in half. Place pudding in decorating bag fitted with tip, and pipe half of the pudding onto bottom half of each doughnut. Top each with some of the caramel sauce; sprinkle with salt. Cover each with top of doughnut.
6. In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and enough milk for spreading consistency. Spread on tops of doughnuts. Drizzle with additional caramel sauce.