skip to nav skip to content
Michael Schwanke/Eyewitness News
Smoldering embers from hot fireworks are blamed for house fire in the 200 block of Buckskin in Hutchinson.
Hutchinson Fire Chief Ken Forbes said firework embers smoldered in woodshake shingles, igniting at 2 a.m. Wednesday.
"The flames could be seen for several miles," Forbes said.
The family made it out safely, but their two pet dogs perished in the fire.
"Once it broke through, it got to 102 degrees here in Hutchinson yesterday, so the roofing materials were dry and it took off and didn't take long to burn the roof off," Forbes said.
Damage was estimated at $250,000 to the large ranch-style home. It is unknown if there was a working smoke detector inside the home.