skip to nav skip to content
Sedgwick County officials are pleased with the use of a special telephone line for fireworks complaints on the 4th of July. 911 director Randy Bargdill said the line received 377 calls from Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning.
The line was set up to keep 911 from being overwhelmed with calls. Fireworks complaints last year created problems in getting emergency crews to a serious traffic accident.
Bargdill said the line is no longer being staffed, and people should not call the special number, but he says the line may be brought back for New Year's Eve, which has been the second busiest night of the year for the 911 system, with complaints about noisy parties and fireworks.
In all, the 911 system received 627 fireworks complaints from July 1st through the 5th.