skip to nav skip to content
A man and his 16-month-old son were transported to a hospital in critical condition after a house fire in the 4700 block of south Main in Wichita.
A woman smelled smoke shortly before 4 a.m. Saturday and alerted her boyfriend.
Wichita Fire Investigations Lt. Joe Evans said the 32-year-old man immediately went to save the baby.
"In the process he had to pretty much had to go through some fire and some other materials," Evans said. "He was able to get the baby out."
The man and boy were both burned. The 27-year-old mother and a 7-year-old girl escaped from the single-story house.
Evans said the fire was caused by a faulty box fan that was placed in the hallway.