skip to nav skip to content
A Derby family is trying to salvage what they can from a Monday afternoon explosion and house fire.
It happened about 3:30 p.m. in a home near Lynn Rae and Fireside. Sedgwick County Deputy Fire Marshall Clint Reed said an odor from a propane leak was ignited by a hot water tank that caused an explosion and fire in the basement.
Reed said the homeowner was in the shower at the time. The homeowner and two other people escaped injury.
The home received damage to the basement, roof and the exterior of the house. Reed said damage was estimated at $145,000 to the home and its contents.