skip to nav skip to content
A juvenile playing with a leftover sparkler firework caused a house fire near 24th and Bleckley in Wichita around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.
The fire started on the back deck, but spread further in the house.
"They were able to knock that out, but the fire had gotten up into the attic," said Wichita Fire Department Battalion Chief Kim Anderson. "They made their way up to the second floor and started pulling ceiling. Once they got up in the ceiling, they were able to put the fire out from there."
Three adults and two children escaped the fire without injury. Anderson estimated the damage at $50,000 to the home and $15,000 to the contents inside.
Anderson said the incident highlights the risks with utilizing leftover fireworks.
"There's a perfect example. A child out playing with leftover fireworks - and of course that's what they want to do, even adults want to do that - but with condition the way they are and as dry as they are, that's obviously not a good choice," Anderson said.