skip to nav skip to content
Fire caused around $15,000 in damage to a home and its contents.
It happened shortly after 2 p.m. Saturday in the 2200 block of South Victoria.
Acting Wichita Fire Battalion Chief Mike Wells tells KFDI News that a passerby spotted smoke coming from the home and alerted a nearby fire station on South Hydraulic. Crews found heavy smoke when they arrived on scene and traced it to a basement closet.
The fire was brought under control quickly and appears to be electrical.
Wells said due to the high outside temperatures, the new air-conditioned rehab van was brought to the scene to help cool off firefighters who battled the fire. The van allows firefighters to rest, cool off and to have their vital signs checked before returning to work.