skip to nav skip to content
A farm house was damaged by fire southwest of Wichita.
Smoke was seen coming from the home upon arrival by Sedgwick County Firefighters just after 7 a.m. Saturday near 199th Street West and 39th Street South.
"I believe there was someone out there with a garden hose, but I don't think it was the owner - maybe a neighbor," Sedgwick County Division Fire Chief Eddie Fajardo said. No one was hurt.
A fire engine from the Wichita Fire Department and Fire Reserves also responded to the fire due to a mutual aid agreement.
"Investigators are thinking it's an accidentally discarded cigarette from an ash tray (that started the fire)," Chief Fajardo said.
The exact cause of the fire and a damage estimate was not available.
Click on audio player to hear Chief Fajardo's interview with KFDI's John Wright.