USA men's basketball, women's soccer move on in London
Image by London 2012
LONDON (AP) After squeaking out a five-point victory over Lithuania last time out, Team USA regained its shooting touch in 126-97 victory over Argentina that puts the Americans in the medal round in men's basketball. Team USA next plays Australia in Wednesday's quarterfinals.
Kevin Durant scored 28 points - 17 during a long-range shooting display in the third quarter in a game that included taunting, finger-pointing and technical fouls.
More notes from the 2012 London Olympics:
- Alex Morgan headed in the game winner in injury time of extra time to give the United States a thrilling 4-3 win over Canada in women's soccer semifinals. Christine Sinclair had the hat trick to give Canada three separate leads, but the U.S. came back behind a pair of goals Megan Repinoe. Abby Wambach forced the overtime by scoring on a penalty kick in the 80th minute. The victory secures a spot for the two-time defending Olympic champs in the gold medal game where the Americans will take on Japan Thursday.
- Jenn Suhr has won the gold medal in the women's pole vault, ending Russian Yelena Isinbayeva's bid for a third straight Olympic title. Suhr won after clearing 15 feet, 7 inches at her second attempt.
- American Michael Tinsley had to settle for the silver medal, finishing second to the Dominican Republic's Felix Sanchez in the 400-meter hurdles. Sanchez reclaimed the Olympic title he won eight years ago in Athens.
- Flyweight Marlen Esparza and middleweight Claressa Shields secured at least bronze medals for the United States in the debut of women's boxing at the Olympics. Esparza outboxed Venezuela's Karlha Magliocco, and the 17-year-old Shields closed furiously in an 18-14 win over Swedish veteran Anna Laurell.
- American judo fighter Nick Delpopolo has been expelled from the Olympics for doping, saying he unintentionally ate something before the games that had been baked with marijuana. The IOC says Delpopolo tested positive for metabolites of cannabis after competing on July 30, the day he competed.