skip to nav skip to content
A fire in a duplex in east Wichita had mostly burned itself out before it was reported by neighbors Friday morning.
Firefighters were sent to the home at 10012 E. Chamberlain shortly before 8 a.m. No one was home.
"We had to force entry," said Wichita Fire Capt. Anthony Kowal. "(We) put a quick initial hit on the fire an got it out."
Fire Investigations Capt. Stuart Bevis told KFDI the fire was caused by an extension cord with too many appliances plugged into it, including an air conditioner. The cord set a bed on fire. Bevis estimates damage to the home at $20-thousand, plus another $10-thousand to its contents.
There were no injuries.