skip to nav skip to content
A fire that started on a deck damaged a home in the 1200 block of West Greenfield late Tuesday night.
Wichita Fire Batallion Chief Ernie Schuler said the cause of the fire was discarded cigarettes. Winds forced the fire into the back part of the home and into the attic.
"We found heavy fire in the attic that had caused the roof to start coming down in the back. We pulled our crews out into a defensive mode and knocked it down from the outside," Schuler said.
A family was at home when the fire happened. They had to be woke up to get out of the home. No injuries were reported, but they did encounter smoke so thick they could barely see to get out of the home. Schuler said the parents took the baby to the hospital to be checked out for signs of smoke inhalation as a precaution.
Damage to the home and its contents is estimated at $70,000.