skip to nav skip to content
Wichita Firefighters responded to the scene of a house fire near Central and West Street early Friday morning. Two people inside of a home at 439 North Young called 911 after seeing smoke shortly before 1 o'clock.
Fire Captain Mike Wells said at the scene that as crews arrived in the area they saw heavy smoke. Firefighters entered the home and found the fire burning in the attic and a north bedroom.
Crews were able to bring the fire under control quickly. However, Captain Wells describes damage as extensive inside of the home. "The fire started around some electrical wiring in the attic," said Fire Investigations Captain Stu Bevis. He estimated the fire damage at $35,000.