Wichita Fire Department reminds homeowners to turn off all appliances
A resident in a tri-plex apartment will try to salvage what they can after a costly fire.
It happened just before 3 p.m. Tuesday at 1512 South Meridian, where an aluminum pan melted under the heat.
"The investigation showed the fire originated on the stove and looks like, at the time, the power was shut off more than a month or so ago the burner was left on," Wichita Fire Investigations Cpt. Stewart Bevis said.
It is becoming a concern for firefighters.
"When we had the big ice storm, we had several fires after power was reconnected like this situation," Bevis said.
Residents are urged to make sure all appliances and other items are unplugged, if they lose power. Damage to the tri-plex apartment was estimated at $30,000 to the structure and its contents.