The invisible winter hazard has health officials concerned
A silent killer may be inside your home.
Safe Kids Kansas recommends homeowners get carbon monoxide detectors to avoid being overcome by invisible fumes.
“CO alarms are widely available at hardware and retail stores for about $20,” said Cherie Sage, Safe Kids Kansas. “Because the symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to that of the flu, it’s important to have early detection of this invisible danger in the home before it’s too late.”
A 2006 study found children younger than 5 have the highest estimated rate of CO-related hospital visits to the emergency room among all age groups in the country.
- Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area, on every level of your home and at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance.
- When you check your smoke alarm batteries each month, check the batteries on your CO alarms at the same time – and replace the batteries twice a year.
- Never use an oven for heating.
- Portable generators must be used outside for proper ventilation. They cannot be used indoors or inside of a garage.
- Have all gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspected by a technician every year to ensure they’re working correctly and are properly ventilated.
- Prevent CO buildup in the first place - make sure heating appliances are in good working order and used only in well-ventilated areas.
- Don’t run a car engine in the garage, even with the garage doors open. If you need to warm up your vehicle, move it outside first.