skip to nav skip to content
Eight people escaped a house fire without injury after spotting heavy smoke coming from a back bedroom.
The smoke detector went off just before 5 p.m. in the home in the Willowwood Estates complex in the 2200 block of E. MacArthur.
"In the preliminary investigation, we found that somebody had lit a candle in the back bedroom," said Wichita Fire Department Battalion Chief John Turner. "That's what we're looking at right now for a cause."
Turner said much of the home was damaged by smoke. He estimated there was $30,000 in loss to the home.