Warehouse complex evacuated for high carbon monoxide levels
High carbon monoxide readings cleared out a large warehouse business in North Wichita.
The problem developed late Friday morning at United Warehouse Co. at 901 East 45th Street North. They called the fire department.
"They found out that the CO level was coming from some of the fork lifts," said Sedgwick County Fire Division Chief Eddie Fajardo. "I think they had six to 10 fork lifts that were putting out CO levels that were higher than they should be."
Fajardo said propane-fueled fork lifts are built to capture the carbon monoxide they produce, but they can lose that ability through normal wear and tear.
Fire officials checked CO blood levels in some employees and found that some had elevated, but not dangerous, levels.
The building was inspected and ventilated. The faulty fork lifts were set aside for maintenance.