skip to nav skip to content
A small fire in the kitchen sent smoke throughout a duplex.
The fire broke out at 9429 East Bluestem. That's near Webb Road and K-96. Wichita Firefighters were called just before eight o'clock to the scene, where smoke could be seen coming from the sides of the duplex. " They entered one side, but it was clear and went to the other side to find a small fire in the kitchen and put it out pretty quick." Acting Battalion Chief David Hersh said. " The fire was contained to the kitchen area, no damage to the structure. " Crews rescued two dogs, but a guinea pig perished in the smoke. " The occupants of the involved house were out, but the neighbors next door were home and with help from crews got out safely." Hersh said. Damage was estimated at $ 20,000 to the duplex and its contents. The Red Cross was called to assist a family with shelter, food and clothes.