skip to nav skip to content
An estimated $45,000 in damage was done to a home after a candle caught a live Christmas tree on fire in the front room of a home in the 1600 block of east Georgia Monday night.
Wichita Fire Battallion Chief Tom Carney says fire crews had to take extra precautions entering the home after a neighbor told crews that ammo may have been going off inside the home.
Once inside the home, fire crews were able to quickly put out the fire.
Carney reminds everyone that this time of year it is important to keep candles away from flammable items.
"This time of year, with Christmas trees, that is a concern for us," Carney said.
There were no injuries in the fire, though the family's pet died due to smoke inhalation.