skip to nav skip to content
Two cats died in a smoky fire inside a house in the 8200 block of east Castle Drive, near Lincoln and Rock Road.
The fire was confined to the basement, and it had mostly burned itself out before a resident discovered the problem at about 5 p.m. Thursday.
"The homeowner arrived on scene and opened up the garage door and was confronted with smoke," said Acting Wichita Fire Battalion Chief Frank Buck. "He immediately called 911."
The cause was not immediately determined. Buck said the fire and smoke cause about $50-thousand in damage to the house and its contents.