skip to nav skip to content
Image by photos: John Wright
A house cat was given oxygen after a house fire in Derby.
Derby Chief Brad Smith told reporters near Lincoln and Meadowlark a fire started in the breezeway between a garage and a home.
"The fire had burned through the wall and was into the house," said Smith.
Doug and Kristie Swift live in the home at 409 east Lincoln along with their pet cat.
"The occupants are OK. We did give the cat some oxygen. It's calm, doing well and everyone is very happy."
Derby, Sedgwick County and Mulvane firefighters responded to the fire just after 6 a.m. Smith said the cause of the fire and the damage estimate are not available.
Smith said the Red Cross was called because the Swifts will not be able to stay in the house today.