skip to nav skip to content
The Wichita Fire Department wants residents to make fire safety a part of their New Year's Eve and New Year's Day events.
Fire Investigations Captain Stuart Bevis said cooking is one of the big dangers for New Year's events, as it is with Thanksgiving and Christmas. He said people should never leave food cooking on the stove unattended.
Smoking can be another safety concern. Bevis said people should make sure they dispose of cigarettes and smoking materials properly.
People should not leave candles burning unattended, and if they're using a fireplace this winter, they should make sure their flue has been properly cleaned.
Space heaters have been the cause of some recent house fires in Wichita. Bevis said people should use them sparingly and always keep them under observation. He said space heaters are much safer than they used to be, but they can draw a lot of electric power, and that can create a fire hazard in homes with older wiring.