Augusta mobile home damaged by fire
Fire damaged a mobile home in Augusta.
It happened around 9 a.m. Wednesday in the 1200 block of North Money Street. The man who lived there was home at the time the fire broke out.
"He had told us that he had a fireplace and a log rolled out onto the floor," Augusta Public Safety Chief Tyler Brewer said. "He had spent some time trying to get it out and threw it outside. The floor became engulfed in flames.
"If you have a fire in your residence, the best thing you can do is get everybody out and get us on the way. That's probably your best defense. It is hard to do, I understand that, but it is the safest, and secondly the most efficient, to save your property."
The homeowner was not hurt. Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the home and its contents. Firefighters will be on the scene for the better part of the day watching for hot spots.