skip to nav skip to content
Fire crews arrived to smoke and flames in the back of a house in the 5300 block of East Looman.
Acting Wichita Battalion Chief Robin James said it looks like smoldering ashes caught a wooden deck on fire. The owners of the home had a large stack of firewood underneath the deck, which also caught fire and burned into the home's basement.
From there, the flames spread all the way up through the home's attic. Crews were able to keep the flames from spreading through the rest of the home.
The husband and wife who live in the house got out safely before firefighters arrived. Damage from the fire is estimated to be between $75,000 and $120,000.