skip to nav skip to content
A 27-year-old man is recovering at Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis and his brother is in jail after a celebration over lottery winnings ended with a boom.
Wichita Police were called to a home in the 100 block of North Nevada Court around 7 p.m. Friday on the report of an explosion.
Sergeant Bruce Watts said one man went to refill butane torches that were being used for bongs, and the butane vapor cloud reached a lit pilot light.
"And you might expect, ka-boom," Watts said.
The man's girlfriend loaded him and her kids into a car and drove him to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis for treatment of second-degree burns to his hands, chest and arms. She sped off and has not been found.
When police returned to the home, the brother who won the jackpot admitted to having meth and marijuana inside the home. He was booked into jail on drug charges.
The brother who was burned is in serious but stable condition.