skip to nav skip to content
What started as a grass fire in the 100 block of North Joann quickly spread to the southside of a house, engulfing it in flames Sunday.
Wichita Fire Department Battalion Chief Kevin Royse said Sunday's warm weather and gusty winds helped the fire spread fast. Royse estimated the damage from the fire made the home a total loss.
The heat from the fire also damaged several electrical panels near the home and a gas meter. It's not known what started the grass fire.
Nobody was in the home, as it has been vacant for the past several months.
With severe drought conditions across Kansas, and windy weather in the forecast, Royse points out that even a small grass fire can turn into a large problem.