skip to nav skip to content
A woman was taken to the hospital after trying to save her car from a garage fire near 227th Street West and 111th Street South in Viola.
"From what we understand, a propane driver came to do some work and noticed that the garage was on fire. (The driver) went and alerted the homeowner," said Sedgwick County Deputy Chief Craig Leu. "The homeowner tried to get a car out and suffered a little smoke inhalation from that, and has been transported to the hospital."
Leu estimated $50,000 in damage to the garage.
"We did have one car that was completely burnt up," Leu said. "It was a total loss, as well - $25,000 was the worth on that."
Several fire crews responded to the scene through a mutual aid agreement because there are no fire hydrants near that area.
Leu said the event is a reminder to never enter a burning structure - instead, call 911 "and let us come and do our job."