skip to nav skip to content
A call to check smoke in an area led the Wichita Fire Department to a duplex fire.
It happened Sunday night in the 4400 block of East Bayley, southwest of Lincoln and Oliver. Heavy smoke and fire was spotted by neighbors just east of the fire.
Four people were evacuated from the duplex, including a woman who escaped injury just after taking a bath. Neighbors provided clothes and shoes for her. All her pets made it out safely.
Battalion Chief Kim Anderson said a cooking fire left $20,000 worth of damage to the northside apartment. The Red Cross was called to assist two adults.