Sedgwick County - The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has issued a public health warning for Lake Afton, in Sedgwick County, due to blue-green algae.
Boating and fishing is okay on the lake, but direct contact with water is strongly discouraged.
The KDHE recommends the following precautions be taken:
- Lake water is not safe to drink for pets or livestock
- Latke water, regardless of blue-green algae status, should never be consumed by humans
- Water contact should be avoided
- Fish may be eaten if they are rinsed with clean water and only the fillet portion is consumed, while all other parts are discarded
- Do not allow pets to eat dried algae
- If lake water contacts skin, wash with clean water as soon as possible
- Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation