Two burned in Wichita vehicle fire

A camper caught fire Monday evening

WICHITA, Kan - Two people were taken to a hospital with critical burns after a fire in their camper in a northwest Wichita neighborhood. 

The fire was reported around 7:45 Monday evening in the 10,600 block of West Ponderosa, in a neighborhood near 13th and Maize Road. 

The fire was out when crews arrived, and the victims were taken to the burn unit at Via Christi St Francis. Their burns are not believed to be life-threatening.

Wichita Fire Captain, Jose Ocadiz, says the couple were testing the propane system in their camper before taking a trip. It is believed a leak in the system caused the fire.

Ocadiz suggests visually inspecting propane lines before appliances are used. Even if the lines appear to be in good shape, you may want to test fittings and connections by spraying them with soapy water and watching for bubbles. 

 

Print this article Back to Top