For the first time in 130 years, the Salvation Army is starting its holiday fundraiser early.
Because of layoffs and other COVID-19 related issues, the Salvation Army expects more the double the usual amount of people will need help over the holidays. Assistance includes things like shelter, help with bills, food, and other needs.
To promote social distancing, there are a lot of online and virtual donation options. The Salvation Army recommends the following.
- The best way to ensure that these vital services continue is to enlist in Love’s Army with a sustaining monthly gift of
$25 per month.
- Our traditional deployment of Red Kettles will be more strategic and safe, beginning collection the day after
Thanksgiving (Nov 27.] To help ensure the safety of bell ringers, donors and partners, The Salvation Army has
adopted nationally mandated safety protocols.
- Donate digitally with Apple Pay, Google Pay through QR codes posted at any red kettle in Sedgwick County.
- Ask Amazon Alexa to donate by saying, “Alexa, donate to The Salvation Army,” then specifying the amount.
- Give any amount by texting “KETTLES” to 91999.
- Donate physical gifts in bulk.
- Adopt additional Angels to give hope and joy to kids and families in need through The Salvation Army’s Angel
Tree program. VIRTUAL ANGELS will also be highlighted and promoted more this year.
You can check out the following link to learn more about the Rescue Christmas campaign. Red Kettle 2020: Rescue Christmas.